Live music tidbits from a place that knows a little something about live music - Austin, TX.

Sep 8, 2009

The Lost Pines-ish

Pictured below is Talia Sekons, her brother Akon (hope I got that spelling right), and Christian McAdams. Talia and Christian are both members of The Lost Pines, a wonderful local bluegrass band.

Here's how the story goes: I was having a lovely time at a friend's house party when I happened to see these folks come bearing various instruments. Naturally, I chatted them up and quickly learned that they were bluegrass players. This was especially serendipitous since I had very recently decided it was a genre I wanted to get to know better. And on top of this, I was lucky enough to have made mention of my love of Gillian Welch, only to discover that Talia fronts a Gillian Welch tribute (or is it cover?) band! Being the kind people that they are, they broke out their instruments and played a beautiful set of music right there in the backyard. And I watched, hammock-side, as Talia did Gillian justice and then some. The setting was perfection, the instrumentation was magical, and the vocals were mezmerizing. It was, a small slice of heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment